[Dl-members] Kagami Biraki for Ojukan for 2017

flugenblar flugenblar at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 17:05:28 EST 2017

Folks

The staff of Ojukan Judo are making plans for a Kagami Biraki event at the
Hillsboro armory.  Kagami Biraki is a traditional new year's event that
typically involves a Judo training session, followed by a (in our case) a
family-oriented potluck lunch!

Please set aside Saturday, January 21, 10:00AM - 1:00PM (maybe 1:30PM) to
join us and welcome in the new year.  We'll practice from 10:00AM to Noon,
then break for lunch.  Family is welcome (encouraged!) of course, but only
active students get to practice on the mats.

Ojukan will provide much of the basics for lunch, but this will be a
potluck and we'll have a sign-up sheet at the armory for folks to register
and indicate the type of food they will bring.  Remember, there is a
kitchen, refrigerator, sinks, tables, chairs, electrical outlets, etc.,

http://www.judo-ch.jp/english/dictionary/terms/kagemibiraki/

   - Kagami biraki (Spiritual renewal)

Glossary of Judo terminology
Kagami biraki (Spiritual renewal)[image: Kagami biraki (Spiritual renewal)]

"Kagami biraki" (Spiritual renewal) is rooted in samurai tradition, and is
a ritual by which Judo practitioners reflect on and appreciate past
milestones, and renew their dedication to the principles of Judo in their
lives. In Japan this ritual involves an offering of red and white rice
cakes (mochi) to the Shinto and Buddhist deities in a martial arts
ceremony, after which all present partake of the rice cakes.
The Kodokan ritual occurs on the second Sunday of every new year. Student
representatives greet the Kodokan Head and various demonstrations are
performed.

--

*Craig Engel*
please use my gmail address: flugenblar at gmail.com